GAWIE Step-Up Commission
(Entries Now Closed!)
We will be looking again next year for an exciting, ambitious wordsmith ready to take a step-up in their career. Will that be YOU?
So, what is the Step-Up Commission?
The Step-Up Commission, a partnership between GAWIE and the House of the West Wind, offers mentorship, funds and support to an emerging wordsmith performer – storytellers, poets, comedians, spoken word artists – if you work with words, we want to hear from you!
We want to help you develop an exciting new performance piece – a ‘wow’ showstopper to be the centrepiece of the GAWIE festival – as well as the means for you to take it on further.
Okay, but how will the Step-Up Commission help me?
If you’ve got a great performance idea and the drive to make it happen, we are offering:
- £1000 to give you time to work on your idea
- Mentoring with internationally renowned storyteller Shonaleigh Cumbers and dramaturg Amelia Armande
- Opportunity to perform at Get a Word in Edgeways Festival 2023 and East Anglia Storytelling Festival 2024
- Publicity to help get your piece out into the world
I’m interested! How do I apply to the Step-Up Commission?
Send us a proposal of your idea with a brief summary of your art-form and experience by Monday 28th November.
Proposals should be in the form of:
- One written side of A4 or
- A 3-minute max video or audio file sent by wetransfer.com to email@example.com
28 November 11:59pm 2022 – Initial Proposal Deadline 13 December 2022 – Shortlist candidates announced 28/29 January 2023 – Free workshop for shortlist candidates in Much Wenlock, Shropshire. You must be able to attend this workshop to apply 5 February 2023 – Commission artist announced 13-15 October 2023 – Commission performance at Get a Word in Edgeways festival. You must be able to attend the festival to apply.
- May 2024 – Commission performance at East Anglia Storytelling Festival (dates TBC)
For more information, please contact Amy Douglas at firstname.lastname@example.org